Friday, November 14, 2008

Introducing Nathan Joshua!

So, as I posted, labor kind of started Tuesday. I had contractions most of the day, then they got to be 3-4 minutes apart from around 5pm to 3am Wednesday. I was able to get a little rest and they spaced out. Around 6am Wed they pretty much fizzled out so we went on a long walk and things started again around 10:30am. I labored the whole day with them varying from 2-11 minutes but getting stronger. I finally called my midwife at 9pm and let her know what was going on and she said we could go ahead and go to the birth center when we felt like it.

So at 10pm we got to the birth center. I labored a lot in the tub, and things were very peaceful for the next 6 hours or so. The boys and Hubby slept for a while and my mom and sisters were there and slept off and on. I finally hit transition and the pushing stage and things became more painful than I remember it being with Jakey. I pushed from about 6:15 to 8 with little progress and increasing pain. No matter what we tried (and we tried just about everything the midwife could think of) he was not coming down past a certain point. I could barely even move my left leg because something was hitting the nerve and causing stabbing pain in it.

Finally a little after 8am Thursday we all talked and decided that there was nothing more we could do at the birth center, I was too exhausted and in too much pain to go any further, so we decided to transfer to the hospital. That was the most painful car ride I've ever been on. My dad drove because he can drive fast and crazy without hurting anyone lol. He broke pretty much every traffic law written getting us there as fast as he could, running lights, driving on the sidewalk, etc. Luckily I was too busy screaming in pain in the backseat to pay attention to the driving lol, or I would have been afraid for my life. My midwife was back there with me calling ahead to the hospital so they would have everything ready for us.

We got to the hospital around 8:45am, and Hubby ran through the halls with me screaming in a wheelchair. They quickly got me into a room and started checking the baby and getting me an IV and there were tons of people rushing around while I was moaning and screaming in pain. They were very worried about the baby's heart rate and said we had to do a c-section right away. They could have done a spinal but they said it would be best to put me under general anesthesia. I was in so much pain I was practically begging them to just do it fast. I was actually grateful they were doing the general because I just wanted the pain to stop asap. So they are getting me all ready and next thing I remember is waking up in a recovery room.

The c-section went well. Nathan was born at 8:57am Thursday weighing 9lbs 3.8oz and 21.25 in. We found out that his arm had been wedged in sidewise in front of his head and that's why he wasn't coming out the regular way. So I felt better knowing the c-section was definitely necessary, even though it was completely opposite of the birth experience I wanted to have. I don't remember anything until around 11am in the recovery room. And I didn't get to see or hold him until I'd been taken to my postpartum room around 1pm. When I finally got him I was just so happy to see him. He is adorable and has lots of dark hair. He nursed right away like a pro. He sleeps well and is so calm, only gets fussy when he needs to burp.

I am recovering much better with this c-section than I did with Jason's, despite the more traumatic labor, so that is good. I'm still very exhausted and sore all over, but happy that my little boy is finally here. We've had lots of visitors, and of course there are doctors and nurses coming in and out all the time, so I haven't gotten much sleep. Hubby is staying here with me and the boys are at my mom's house until we get home in a few days.

Oh, sounds like Nathan is getting ready to wake up and eat so I better get pics uploaded real quick so I can post this :)


Anonymous said...

He has so much hair! He is adorable like his big brothers. You look great as well. Congratulations!

Adalynn said...

good heaven's! That is a story for the books I tell you! He is a cutie - that is for sure. Glad that he is here finally! Can't wait to meet him!

kirstensworld said...

I have to say you look great even after just having a baby!! I can't believe how much hair he has! Congrats again!

Beth said...

What a big, beautiful baby! I LOVE his hair! You look radiant in that picture -- I'm glad you're recovering okay even after being put through the wringer like that! So glad your little boy's all right and you are, too. :-)

The Lances... said...

Kara CONGRATS!! I'm glad that everyone is safe and sound. What a crazy birth story, please let me know if there is anything that you need. I hope your recovery is quick and painless as possible. I hate c sections! He looks great and adorable.

Michelle said...

Reading about how much pain you were in puts tears in my eyes. :( I'm so sorry it was a rough labor for you. I think you were AWESOME going through it all!

Nathan is super handsome and he and Nate looks like they have the same hair in your second picture lol. I'm glad he's here! We might be heading down for a quick trip in a few weeks, maybe we could swing by if our schedules can manage it.

Get some rest! I'm really proud of you. :D

Amanda said...

aww he is so cute!!! Congrats Mommy!

Anonymous said...

Dang, girl...9lbs 3.8oz, no wonder you were in miserable pain! I'm glad he made it here, even if it was bit different than you'd expected. He's adorable. Congrats!

MotherToMany said...

Congratulations sweet pea! That was one adventurous birth experience. If you have another I hope you are able to get that VBAC you want. Nathan is beautiful!