Saturday, January 15, 2011

They are here!!! My baby boys have arrived!!!

I was scheduled for an induction on January 13th but my boys decided that they didn't want to wait until then. Sunday, January 9th, I was having some random contractions in the evening but they weren't regular. They were a little more painful than usual so I figured that things might pick up in the next day or so. I went to bed that night not expecting anything to happen until at least morning.

Around midnight Hubby came to bed and I got back in bed from one of my many bathroom trips. Suddenly I felt Isaac drop hard and fast into my pelvis. I knew then that labor was going to start up, though I still felt that it would probably take a while since my shortest previous labor was 20hrs. I got up and ate a bowl of cereal while timing a few contractions. They were pretty strong and about 3-4 minutes apart. I decided to take a bath to see what that did. Around 12:45 while the water was filling up I started to think that maybe a bath wasn't a good idea, but I was still stuck thinking I'd have another long labor so I got in anyway. After just a few more contractions I started calling for Nate to get up. He got up at 1am and I told him I was in labor and he needed to call my dad to come stay with the boys so we could go to the hospital. We started grabbing the things we'd need, luckily I already had my bag packed. At 1:15 my dad still wasn't on his way so I called a neighbor to come stay at the house until he got there because I really felt we needed to leave. My contractions were 2 minutes apart and very intense.

We left for the hospital at 1:30. Normally it's a 45 minute drive but since it was the middle of the night it only took 30 minutes. My water broke in the car and I was having contractions every 1-2 minutes that I had to work hard not to push with. We got there around 2pm and rushed up to L&D. When they checked me I was already complete and ready to push so they rushed me back to the OR (they deliver all twins in the OR just in case). I had no time for an epidural like I'd been planning. After maybe 10 minutes of pushing, and a slight shoulder dystocia scare, Isaac was born at 2:21am weighing 7lb9oz and 18.5". He was so purple I was worried, but luckily he started screaming right away. His face was just so bruised from his fast descent. I got a break from contractions for about 5 minutes and they broke Caleb's water to get him to move down. I was saying that I didn't want to do it again lol. After another 10 minutes of pushing, and a little help from the vacuum when his heartrate dropped, Caleb was born at 2:36am weighing 7lb1oz and 20.67". I delivered the placenta and they stitched up the small 1st degree tear I had then they took the babies back to the nursery to watch them for a bit.

I was wheeled back to a room at 3am and they brought the babies to me at 3:30. I was able to hold them skin-to-skin right away and started nursing soon after. Because I was GBS+ and didn't have time for antibiotics in labor we stayed for a few days so they could watch the babies. Everyone is doing great though and we are so thrilled to have our little boys home with us.

I'm happy I was able to have a VBA2C with twins, but I will never again be envious of people who have short labors lol. It was very intense and scary and next time I want to have time for an epidural if I want it. :) I will get some pictures of the babies up soon.

1 comment:

Alison said...

That was so fast! I can't even imagine how intense that must have been, especially with twins. Even so, what a huge blessing that you were able to have yet another VBAC. Congrats again... x2!!!