Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Morning sickness + tummy bug = torture

I have another review I've been meaning to get up (and a GIVEAWAY!!!) but this last week has been pretty crazy. We went up to Idaho last Saturday (4hr drive plus a few stops to see friends and family) to pick up our boys and then came back Sunday. Unfortunately my morning sickness began to set in Saturday, making for a long uncomfortable ride where I just wanted to go lay down. I typically get very mild morning sickness, usually just nausea most of the day with no throwing up (I only threw up my first pregnancy, not my other two). So I pretty much expected that again, and that held true.

Until yesterday. Oh my goodness, yesterday sucked. First off I hadn't gotten enough sleep because I woke up at 3:30am and my stomach felt so bad, even after some crackers and water, I barely got any sleep after that. Then once I pulled myself out of bed at 6:30ish I knew it was going to be a close call. I tried to hurry and get the baby his milk and get myself some breakfast, since eating something usually helps. But I was not fast enough. Luckily I was already in the bathroom when it hit me, and luckily I only had a little crackers and water in my stomach. Ugh, throwing up really stinks. I was finally able to get some cereal in my to help but my stomach was still all crampy and sick feeling for the rest of the day. Thanks to Jason I'd gotten the stomach bug he'd had the day before to add onto my nausea. Nothing at all sounded good to eat. I forced myself to eat an apple and some canned peaches for snacks, and finally made myself a peanut butter and jam sandwich, which was the first thing all day to settle my stomach down a bit. I spent most of the day lying on the couch. Every time I had to get up to help the kids with something (I had 3 extras that I babysit) I felt woozy and sick, so I tried to do as little as possible. My wonderful sister-in-law came and took Jason and Jakey and the 7yr old I watch to the park for a few hours. Nathan and the 2yr old I watch went down for a nap, the 5yr old girl played quietly for a bit, and I was able to get a much needed nap.

Later, when Hubby came home, I was on the couch again and he asked me to come help bring in some groceries. I dragged myself up and began putting away the milk and suddenly knew that I should probably make my way to the bathroom again. Hubby was talking to me about something but I just held up my hand and walked by him. Good thing cuz a minute later all the food I'd painstakingly forced myself to eat throughout the day came back out. Ugh. What a waste. I made dinner for the family, Hamburger Helper, but could barely do it. Just the smell and sight of the cooking meat was making me sick again. I'd hold my breath to stir it for a second then leave the room to lay on the couch for a few minutes. Then I tried one of the noodles to check if it was done and it made me gag. So when it was finished I hurried and ate a bowl of cereal myself and told Hubby to wait until I was out of the room to eat dinner with the boys. What a good guy. (If he'd been home instead of running errands at the time, I'm sure he would have just made dinner completely for me.)

I lay around more after dinner and finally felt ok enough to do a load of dishes and then made myself a bowl of oatmeal to eat before bed. Hubby had picked up some lemon drop candies for me (love that man!) on his way home from work so I sucked on those all evening and they helped a ton. He also got me some Special K cereal bars that I'd asked for so I have something up by the bed to eat during the night. I ate one in the middle of the night and I think that helped me from feeling so bad when I got up today. That and the tummy bug was short lived, thank heavens.

I still feel kind of yucky, but not on the verge of throwing up at all times like yesterday. That means I should take this opportunity to clean up the pig sty that is my house. It got sorely neglected yesterday. Makes me really feel sympathy for the women who have bad morning sickness for months. I don't know how they do it, just one day of that wiped me out and made me question my sanity for wanting to get pregnant again.

So, I really hope I don't have many days like that, but I'm going to try to really enjoy the days that I feel ok. I'd better get up and eat a snack soon, and I should work on the kitchen while the boys are picking up their toys in the family room. Then if I continue to feel ok I promise to get that review (no, it's not an est affiliate marketing program) and giveaway up later today, so keep an eye out!

No comments: